Sunday, September 2, 2007

Stuff I've been checking out and stuff

Pacey Says:

Michaelangelo Antonioni - A bit of an Italian movie festival in our apartment, albeit we only watched some of his English films. First, "Blow up", a movie about murder (maybe) but more about our perceptions of reality requiring context. I didn't totally follow the first time I saw it, probably because I've been conditioned by Hollywood to look for obvious clues and to use the soundtrack as an emotional guide. Hollywood sucks. Watching the DVD with commentary was a great help to figuring out the concepts, and I now think it's a great film. Hopefully, I am cultured now. Next up, "The Passenger", a movie about a man who switches his identity with a deceased stranger. Again, themes of context distortion arise. While the concepts are compelling to discuss, do they make for great cinema? Tough to say, considering how Hollywood movies have conditioned me to accept movies that have no substance. I liked "Blow up", and I would recommend any potential Antonioni fans to start there.

The New Canucks Uniform - Dreadful again. They got rid of the red and silver and added green. Big deal. It still has that ridiculous fish that has nothing to do with a 'canuck'. I'm glad I don't cheer for them.

And not much else. I must say though I love the library. I cannot imagine actually paying money to see movies after seeing the selection at our local public library. Blockbuster doesn't come close to the selection of crazy art films by directors I've only read about (Herzog, Kieslowski, and the aforementioned Antonioni.

Penny says I have to tell you what I'm listening to:

John Cale - "Paris 1919"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Papa says "You should write a Hockey Novel"