Friday, September 14, 2007

Pacey discusses Ticketmaster

Pacey says:

So, I looked into going to a concert at a small local venue because one of my favourite artists, Caribou, is coming to town in support of his newest album "Andorra". At the venue's website, I found tickets. The price: $15.50. That is a decent price for a night out (I don't get many of those, ever) and considering I have been blown away by Dan Snaith's shows in the past, and the fact that "Melody Day" is going to be an incredible performance, I can rationalize parting with $15.50 for a great time.

But wait ... when I attempted to purchase the ticket online, the total was $19. What happened? In order to purchase the ticket, they charge a $3.50 "Convenience Fee". This led me to think, what if I wish not to have the 'convenience' and just have the ticket? Is there a less 'convenient' option so I can keep my $3.50 for bus fare or something?

Anyone who has ever asked themselves these questions or have attempted to get around this fee have had no success. The fee for convenience is non-negotiable. There is no way around Ticketmaster and this fee. One would think that the word 'convenience' could not live in a vacuum, but apparently it can in Ticketmaster's monopoly on concert ticket prices.

Am I being ridiculously frugal griping about $3.50? I don't think so. This is because Ticketmaster preys upon such thinking in commanding a ludicrously inflated fee, depriving one of my favourite artists money I would endorse them for a performance. I don't care about Ticketmaster, I care about the music and the artists involved.

I have no problem with people making a buck, and I agree with the sentiments Penny alluded to below where 'profit' is not a dirty word. But in order for me make sense of Ticketmaster's "Convenience Fee", I need to believe there is another option (even a potentially a more expensive option) for accessing a concert. As of today, there is no such option, and when the middle-man between you and the music you love calls the tune, one has no choice but to dance. The only way around it is to not see Caribou, and I have to consider that option.

Dr. Snaith, if you are reading this, I'm sorry if I don't show up to your show. You rule, but endorsing Ticketmaster makes me ill. Oh ... and "Andorra" isn't as great as most of the reviews have been. I know what you were getting at, and I think, to your credit, you achieved your goals with this album. But, for me, it seemed more of a genre exercise than something truely dazzling. I'm still a huge fan.

The above was not proofread.

No comments: