Thursday, January 17, 2008

Curtis Joseph is still overrated

Pacey says:

After a decade-or-so of my personal campaign against the merits of Joseph as a goaltender, I am now faced with the fact that he is now on my team. It was much easier to highlight his talent for avoiding pucks when he was a member of the Oilers, Leafs, and Red Wings, but now I have to come to terms with actually cheering for him as a member of the Calgary Flames.

However, this kind of dilemma is not something I'm unfamiliar with. I cheered for Joseph when he lost Canada the World Cup in '96 to the Americans, and I cheered for him as he failed to stop a puck in his only game at the Salt Lake Olympics (sensibly, Martin Brodeur played the rest of the tournament to secure the gold).

Another thing to consider is that I also believe that Raymond Bourque is the most overrated defenseman to ever play hockey. After declaring that he would never win the Cup because he was an instinctive, habitual loser, Bourque did win a championship as a Colorado Avalanche. I still believe it took a superhuman effort by Sakic, Roy, Blake, Tanguay (current Flame), etc. to overcome Bourque's natural gift for failure, but the fact remains that even players such as Bourque can still win in the right situation.

Thus, I must suck it up and support this loser. History has shown that it is not fatal to your Cup aspirations to carry losers in your lineup, so I remain optimistic.

Joseph, just don't screw this one up, okay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

paPomp wants to know if your changing teams Pacey?

Anonymous said...

LMAO Great post! I still won't cheer for him Flame or not! I really see this as Keenan running shot gun over his current goalie! He had always been a prick to his goaltenders and I see the trend is continuing! I was sad to see such words written about Bourque as I was sobbing like a little school girl when he finally won the cup! Take care miss you lots! Linz